Serenity

Serenity

Sunday, May 27, 2012

5/26 Fishing Report, Happy Memorial Day


Happy Memorial Day, everybody. 



 A special thanks to all of the servicemen and women who were the lucky ones. And I hope you all can join me tomorrow in at least a few moments of silence in remembrance for those who have died for us and their country. God bless America, because Heaven knows many have sacrificed for it. Our prayers are with them and their families.

***

My wife and I set aside some time after a Church activity for me to hit the pond on Saturday. Last night was the night, as I wanted to try to hook into some feeding cats if at all possible.

Overwhelming count went to Green Sunfish. I caught about a dozen. Note the beautiful yellow in their fins.



I have never been a fan of these fish, until I started finding them in this size and coloration. They are beautiful, and aggressive. On more than one occasion, I have hooked into one and thought it was a bass.

Speaking of which:

You know, I don't even know how long this is...

First one on the Dirty Rat!

I fished a few flies: an Egg Sucking Leech, a Weighted Olive Woolly Bugger, a Bass Gurgler, and the Dirty Rat. I fished the Weighted Olive mostly because of top-water turbulence due to a high wind. It paid off!

The second bass on there was my first on the Dirty Rat.

The culprit.

There was a protected cove with calm surface waters. I actually screwed up my cast and deposited the fly at a 90 degree angle to the right of the tip of the fly line and was gradually pulling it back when I got what I was promised in Catch Magazine: an explosion. It was phenomenal!

I recently got some fly tying materials donated by Jim Smith. Can't wait to find out what to do with them. He wants to share what he typically does. 

Have a great holiday, and remember what it's for!

1 comment :

  1. Anthony
    One nice Yellow Tail Bass--at least that is the name we give it in Alabama. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete